Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if my child is unwell?

It is important to notify the school if your child is unable to attend as the school is expected to follow up any un-notified absence by 9.30am of the morning of absence.

Parents or carers should phone into school and leave a message on the answerphone to inform us if their child is unable to attend.

Please do not notify us of absences via e-mail – our e-mails come to us via a central server and there is sometimes a delay in receiving them.

Where can I purchase school uniform?

Uniform items with the embossed school logo can be obtained through Forest Casuals in Loughton.

In the event of severe weather how do I know if the School is open?

In the event of severe weather it may be necessary to close the school for all or part of the day.  If this is the case Authorised School Staff will notify each year group  class representative who will send out a whats app alert to keep parents advised on the situation, also the the school website will be updated regularly.

What do I do if I think I might be able to claim free school meals for my child?

Please telephone or call in at the school at your convenience for further information.  Enquiries of this nature are dealt with confidentially and in private.

My child has lost an item of clothing/bag etc. What should I do?

At High Beech we ask that all personal property, including clothing, is clearly labelled with the child’s name.  We also strongly encourage children to be responsible for their own belongings, to keep them safe and not leave things behind.  If your child has lost something, please ask them to look for it themselves in the first instance – it may be easier for them to search the cloakroom during break times or after school.  Lost Property is available via the school office.  However, due to lack of storage space any unclaimed items are disposed at the end of each term.

I have changed my address/phone number/mobile phone number. What should I do?

It is very important that the school has up-to-date contact details for parents and carers of all children in case we should need to contact you.  If your contact details change, please send us written notification of the changes along with your child(ren)’s name and class number.  We can then ensure that our records are up to date.  Please remember that this also applies to contact details for any other carers listed on your child(ren)’s records for emergency contact.

Someone different will be collecting my child from school today. What should I do?

It is very important to let us know if your child is being collected by someone other than yourself. Children cannot be handed over to ‘unknown’ adults without confirmation, so if necessary a phone call will be made to seek the permission of the parent or guardian.

I am going to arrive late to collect my child – what will happen?

If you are delayed, please telephone the school if possible to let us know and your child will stay in the office until you arrive.  ALL our children are told that if there is no-one in the playground to collect them they MUST come to the school office and we appreciate parents’ support in teaching their children the same rule.

Can I speak to my child’s teacher or the Head teacher?

Yes you can!  We do however ask that all requests to speak to teachers are made via the office please. You will be asked if you can give a brief outline of what you would like to discuss – this is to ensure that the teacher can have any relevant documentation or facts to hand.  If the matter is confidential however, please feel free to say so.  All our staff have meetings and other responsibilities before and after school and are not always immediately available.  If possible, please leave some suggested times when you are available and remember that it is sometimes easier to see teachers before school instead of after.  We ask that parents and carers do not delay teachers as they are taking children into class or dismissing them at the end of the day. If the matter you wish to discuss is urgent you will always be seen by someone, even if the teacher you may wish to speak to is unavailable.  Someone is always available to share your concerns and answer your queries.

Can I come into school?

ALL visitors to the school must come in via the school office, where they will be asked to sign in the visitors’ book.  This is to ensure against intruders as well as keeping a check of who is in the building in case of the need for emergency evacuation.

How do I apply for a place for my child?

If you would like to apply for a place at High Beech School for your child, please phone us on 020 8508 6048 to arrange a visit to the School.  You will also receive a copy of the School Prospectus.  However, all applicants wishing to attend High Beech School are dealt with by Planning and Admissions in County Hall, Chelmsford.